Local Support Groups
A number of local networking groups exist on Hawai`i Island that support families either regionally or philosophically. Descriptions about each organization come directly from their pages. Check the them out below.
- West Hawaii Homeschoolers - Gathering place for homeschooling families in West Hawaii to connect and organize outings, play dates, or classes.
- West Hawaii Homeschoolers LEAD Group - We are a group of homeschooling families on the Big Island (primarily in West Hawaii), coming together to create a community for sharing ideas and experiences, particularly those that are unique to homeschooling. This is an open forum for asking questions, sharing ideas, relating personal homeschooling experiences, and planning group activities. We invite and encourage all members of the group to feel free to organize a field trip or activity day, or to plan enrichment classes during the year.
- East Hawaii (Big Island) Homeschool Hui Facebook Group -For families homeschooling in East Hawaii. Feel free to organize activities or outings and invite the rest of us to join.
- Big Island UnSchoolers -This is a page for unschooling families on the Big Island to share information, ideas, events, and activities, and meet other unschooling families!
- The Lighthouse HICHE Yahoo Group - The Lighthouse HICHE is an Christian organization of families who actively homeschool our children and believe that if we work together to pool our talents and resources we can provide quality group learning activities and parental support in which the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.(linked to State-wide organization, hosts a state conference)
- Big Island Homeschoolers Yahoo Group -For homeschoolers on the Big Island of Hawaii to have a place to meet, share ideas, ask questions, offer support, make friends, plan field trips or get-togethers. Help us create a network of support for each other and for others who may be considering homeschool as an option for their family. Feel free to post notices about events, homeschool friendly businesses, great places to go on the Big Island, great web sites you have found and whatever else might be pertinent to other homeschooling families. Please be respectful and kind in your conversation. All of us have different methods and beliefs but all share the same interest in homeschooling and a desire to do the best for our children so please take what you can use, share what works for you and let the other stuff go
- North Hawaii Homeschoolers Yahoo Group -This is is an inclusive support group for homeschoolers in the North Hawaii area (i.e. Waikoloa, Waimea, Hawi) of the Big Island. Help create a network for making friends, sharing ideas & resources, and planning get-togethers. We encourage sharing responsibility for facilitating larger group activities and events such as book clubs, field trips, science fairs, art/photo contests & sports events